Friday, March 4, 2011

Fabulous Funky Fish

A lesson about visual texture!

This was a 2 day lesson that the students really seemed to enjoy! Here is what we did:
Day1:  We started by talking about texture and visual texture. I demonstrated the first step to our project. We folded a paper into 8 squares. They would fill each square with a different visual texture.  The students filled in their graphic organizers, and when most were done, I had them go around the room and share two of their boxes with the class.  I explained that they would be using these ideas (and could use each others' too) to create a work of art...

Fish!  We talked about fish--what features they have, how there are many different types and shapes. We looked at photos, and I showed them my example.  They could draw a fish of their choosing; it didn't have to be based on a specific type of fish. Their fish needed fins--though the number was up to them. They also needed a face, which would be the only part they could leave "blank".  The rest of the fish would be sectioned off (again their choice on how--draw scales, stripes, boxes, etc) and each section would be filled with a different visual texture.  I showed them how they could make some lines thicker to make certain areas stand out better. They had fun creating their own fish. My expectations for them were different depending on their age--the  younger students, I was hoping just to see a recognizable fish shape with fins, sectioned/filled with some sort of lines and shapes...for the older students, I was hoping to see a lot of different textures represented as well. All of them did a great job!

Day 2--We reviewed (from the beginning, though with less detail, as we had a couple absent last time and two brand new students!) and I showed them how they would add color to their fish.  We talked about analogous colors--colors next to each other on the color wheel--which blend quite nicely. They had the option of painting the individual shapes and spaces with the colors or using the analogous colors to simply wash over and blend together across the whole thing.  My goal was for all the older students to paint it their way using the analogous color scheme---I expected that the younger students would use all the colors, so my goal was that they simply took their time and covered the entire fish.  I was surprised to see that even some of the younger students understood the color scheme, with an occasional "mistake".   Great job, again. Finally, they cut out their fish and glued it to a black background.  They look awesome, don't you think? 






































No comments:

Post a Comment